Frequently Asked Questions
Our FAQs should have the answers to most if not all questions you may have.
Simply select the right category and we’ll present you with the FAQs for that selection.
1. WARM HOMES HUB
You can register your interest online or call on 0115 985 3000 and speak to one of our customer service team. They are all qualified energy advisers who will answer any questions that you have and explain the different services that are available to help you stay warm in your home and not worry about your fuel bills.
Applications can be made online.
The first part of the registration requires us to confirm:
- That you fulfil the HHCRO Eligibility Criteria.
- With your eligibility confirmed we will ask a few more questions about the property to complete our client assessment form.
With the above information we refer your details to the energy company.
The support offered by the Warm Homes Hub includes:
- 1st time central heating (including gas connections)
- Grants for heating upgrades and emergency heating repairs
- Advice and assistance with benefit checks and applications
- Help with home insulation
- Applying for discounts off energy bills (electricity and water)
- Help to make your home safe and secure
- Help and advice to find the best tariff for your energy bills
- Heater loans
- Help in the event of a power cut
- Support to switch energy tariff/provider switching
- Home energy visits
2. 1st TIME CENTRAL HEATING
You can get a warmer home in 3 easy steps. Please note that scheme usually takes between 6-8 weeks to reach the installation stage.
- Application and eligibility check: Application to the scheme can be completed online or by phone 0115 985 3000 . If you are eligible your details will be referred to E.ON. Online applications will be followed by a phone call within 48 hours to complete the full assessment and gain your consent to proceed.
- Home Survey: The survey is completed by a Gas Safe registered engineer and takes approximately 1.5 hours.
- Installation: An A’ rated boiler will be installed along with a radiator in every habitable room e.g., bedrooms, bathroom, hallway, kitchen. The install will be completed in just 1 day by E.ONs’ team of heating engineers. The engineers are Gas Safe registered. The boiler comes with a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer and a 1 year works warranty from E.ON.
No, we are only able to install a central heating system where if there is not currently one installed in your home. Help might be available to you through other schemes – see the question ‘Is there any other help available if I do not fulfil the HHCRO eligibility criteria?’
3. ELIGIBILITY FOR 1st TIME CENTRAL HEATING
To qualify for FREE Central Heating from the Warm Homes Hub you must meet the following criteria
1. You are a homeowner, rent from a private landlord or rent from a social landlord* AND
2. Your home does not have, and never has had a central heating system (For example, if you have a solid fuel fire, electric storage heater, electric panel heaters, gas room heaters or a gas fire you may qualify as they do not count as central heating systems.) AND
3. You are in receipt of certain benefits OR you are on a low income. (For a full list of qualifying benefits and the income table, call us on 0115 985 3000)
You can check if you qualify by calling** 0115 985 3000 or applying online.
* If you are a renting from a social landlord, your property must have an EPC of E, F or G in order for you to qualify. Check the EPC or your property here.
**Before you call, please make sure you have the relevant information to hand.
E.ON are the Warm Homes Hub delivery partner and will be installing your new central heating. You do not have to be an E.ON customer to apply, nor will you have to become and E.ON customer when you have received your heating upgrade. E.ON will also support you to connect you to the gas network if your property requires this.
If you own your home or you are privately renting, you may be eligible if you are on a low income or in receipt of certain welfare benefits.
If you are a social tenant, you may be eligible if you are on a low income or in recepit of certain welfare benefits AND if your home has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E, F or G. Click on the EPC Register to check your EPC.
Yes, you can apply if you are a private landlord. You can call the Hub on the dedicated line 0115 985 3000, or we can make the referral for you. The install will not be able to take place without your permission, but we will need to speak with your tenants to ensure they meet eligibility criteria.
Neither you or your tenant need to be an E.ON customer to apply for this offer.
Yes, you can apply if your home has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E, F or G and your home does not have central heating or is heated by solid fuel fire, electric storage heater, electric panel heaters, gas room heaters or a gas fire. Click on the EPC Register to check your EPC.
The central heating system is FREE if you meet our eligibility criteria so you will not have to pay anything. The good news is that gas heating is a cost effective way to heat your home that should save you money on your monthly bills of up to £350 per annum. There is no obligation to proceed if you change your mind.
5. BENEFITS OF HAVING A CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM
New A-rated boilers have rated efficiencies of 90 per cent or more meaning that they use less fuel, resulting in lower CO2 emissions and running costs. If you currently have a G-rated boiler and replace it with an A-rated one, your household heating bill should drop by about a quarter – a saving, on average, of around £260 up to £300 a year.
Gas is cheaper than electricity or oil and has the lowest carbon dioxide emissions apart from wood. Your new central heating system will include an A’ rated boiler, thermostatic radiator valves to better control your heat for each room, as well as a programmer to help you keep your home at a comfortable temperature without wasting fuel or heat.
6. GAS CONNECTION
8. BOILER REPLACEMENT
If you are unable to afford a repair of your heating, we may be able to help you through the Warm Homes Hub Crisis Support. Call us on 0115 985 3000 and a member of our team will go through the eligibility criteria with you.
Alternatively, we can check your eligibility for our boiler replacement scheme. Depending on your circumstances you may be qualify for a free boiler or you may need to contribute towards the cost. See “Is there any other help available if I do not fulfil the HHCRO eligibility criteria?” for more information.
You cannot apply for a new central heating system. Warm Homes Hub Crisis Support may be able to help you if you are unable to afford a repair, or offer a short term loan of heaters.
Alternatively, you can apply for a boiler upgrade. See “Is there any other help available if I do not fulfil the HHCRO eligibility criteria?” for more information.
These services are subject to survey, availability and eligibility.
9. TECHNICAL DETAILS OF THE SCHEME
Can I find my own installer for the installation of a 1st time central heating system, replacement or repair of a boiler?
NEP currently runs two separate schemes as a complement to the HHCRO Boiler Replacement Scheme; the Boiler Health Check, where you can book in a free or subsidised service of your boiler, and the Boiler Scrappage Scheme where you can receive a £400 voucher when replacing your boiler. Both of these schemes are subject to survey, availability and eligibility.
There is also help available through a Health through Warmth scheme. To qualify for that scheme you need to be a homeowner with a long-term health condition made worse by living in a cold home and your heating has to be broken. Your income has to be less than £26,000 if you’re a single household or £32,000 if you are a couple household. Any savings in the bank need to be less than £8,000.
Can’t find the answer?
You can send us a message using our online contact form or give us a call.
0115 985 3000
Lines are open Mondays to Fridays between 9:00am and 5:30pm.